These New Health-Cookies Are Grain And Gluten Free and Packed With Healthy Fats And Cancer Fighters
Bull Kelp Cookies
- 3 cups ground nuts (almond meal, walnuts, hazelnuts, or whole toasted sesame seeds)
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/8 cup (possibly less) granulated kelp (Nereocystis luetkeana)
- Oats (optional)
- Dried fruit (optional)
- Coconut oil (optional)
- Cookie sheet or glass casserole pan
- Preheat oven to 350℉ (180℃ )
- Grease glass casserole pan using coconut oil, and set in oven to warm. Alternatively if you’re out of coconut oil, butter works just as well (but is less nutritious)
- Mix nuts and bull kelp seaweed together (kelp to taste)
- Add maple syrup and mix well (if using dried fruit, add it at this point). The mixture should hold well, and not be overly doughy
- Take glass pan out of the oven and place the mixture in the pan using wet hands. Press down the dough until it is even. (recommended to be ¼ inch thick)
- At this point, if you wish you can sprinkle oats on top of the dough.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the edges are brown.
- Let cool, and slice into bars.
What makes seaweed a superfood?
Seaweed regulates estrogen and estradiol levels (hormones responsible for the development and functioning of sexual organs). This regulation helps reduce breast cancers and improve female infertility.
Seaweed is also full of antioxidants that make it an ideal food to prevent inflammation. When you actively reduce inflammation, you help protect yourself against the risk of arthritis, celiac disease, asthma, depression and obesity.
Want a healthy thyroid? Seaweed is chock full of iodine is crucial for maintaining a healthy thyroid. An unhealthy thyroid can lead to weakness, fatigue, high cholesterol and impaired memory. Iodine is often artificially added to salt, but since we’ve become increasingly more conscious of what we put in our bodies, we have been consuming less salt. That’s why seaweed is such an important part of a healthy diet.
Two tablespoons of red seaweed have over 34x the potassium found in an equal sized serving of bananas. A serving size that huge can cause heart palpitations among those who have kidney problems. Keep that in mind when you’re tempted to overindulge on this amazing superfood.