Having the pineapple stuffed inside the chicken helped to keep it unbelievably moist on the inside. And the sweet and salty flavors? Beyond amazing. If there’s one thing that could possibly make it better, it’s dipping the chicken in a little homemade barbecue sauce before devouring it.
If you have pineapple hanging around and don’t know what to do with it, try sticking it under the broiler for 5 minutes or until it gets a little brown around the edges. You can then go and stick it on top of anything – salads, yogurt, your morning oatmeal, you name it.
If you can tolerate cheese, by all means add some shredded mozzarella to the stuffing for a true pizza experience!
- 2 chicken breasts, flattened until about ½ inch thick
- ½ cup pineapple pieces
- 4 slices bacon
- 4 sprigs fresh parsley, finely chopped
- ¼ cup shredded mozzarella
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a frying pan over medium-high heat, cook the bacon until brown and slightly crisp (not all the way crispy).
- Lay the chicken breasts flat. Arrange the pineapple pieces, bacon strips, parsley and cheese down the middle, leaving enough room on both ends to roll the chicken around it.
- Roll the chicken breasts up, using toothpicks to hold the roll together.
- Heat the frying pan with the bacon fat over medium heat. Sear the chicken rolls on all sides until lightly browned, then remove from the pan.
- Place the chicken breasts and some of the bacon fat in a baking dish. Make sure that the toothpicks face upwards, to stop cheese melting out. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. Allow the rolls to sit for ten minutes before serving.